Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Still Seeking Peace


Remember the Fallen.


It's been a long time since I wrote on this blog. A long time since I checked it out. I see a few comments on the last post which was dated 02/11/2009. The one before that was over a year ago on 06/29/2008. I see the titles of these two posts are very similar. The first one, the older of the two, was entitled "The Future of Peace", then the next one, eight months later, was: "Peace in Our Future".

Where was my head? What have I been thinking about? Puzzles me that I didn't see this when I was publishing. Puzzles me more that our country is still at war and no one is saying squat about it. Not the media, not MoveOn.org, not True Majority, not even Veterans For Peace or Iraq Veterans Against the War! Before the election of Obama to office, I was getting ten to twenty e-mails from these and other organizations a week, and sometimes that many in one day! I still get a few e-mails, but the subject line has changed. They have all grabbed on to another cause.

Health care reform is a noble cause for sure, but what happened about the war?I was under the impression that President Obama was going to start troop pull out of Iraq immediately after taking office. Now, not only are we still in Iraq, but efforts in Afghanistan have increased troop levels, and a recent report by General Stanley McChrystal, top General in Afghanistan, tends to favor the possibility of sending even more troops there. Read a BBC article Here.

A fellow blogger recently wrote something that jogged me back into action. Her words spoke to me and told me to get on my horse and continue to parade about war. When this blog first came out, way back in January of 2007, I had had it with war and policies of the George W. Bush administration. Now, over two and a half years later, there has been no determination of any policy to end the war in either Iraq or Afghanistan. We have been fed the pablum and we are to be satisfied that Obama is honest and that since we overwhelmingly elected him, everything he does is going to turn out all right, including staying at war.

That is pure bullshit! I'm not sure what I'm going to do right this very minute, but as you might see from the time signature of this post, I am awake in the middle of the night thinking about it. Some action will be taken. Letters to the elected officials with urgency directed towards the war(s) for one. Then the phone calls, e-mails and faxes to follow. Some sort of campaign to get people doing the same, with the same message, and although I know there are other issues out on the table, big issues no less, I will hammer home the idea that we must stop the killing and destruction and really put forth the effort for peace.

Two of my Grandchildren have been alive while this country is at war. They have never known their country to be at peace. The debt from the war(s) is so devastating to our Nation's future. Add to the war funding, the bailouts of banks and how we'll pay for the health care issue, and there is virtually no end in sight.

So, I'm starting over, or picking up where I left off. I'll keep you posted as to what action I will be taking. My ideas and plans might change here and there, but my focus won't. I protest the fact that our Nation is at war. I will stand somewhere for peace.

No comments: